Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club - Match Reports 20141004

Match Reports 04 October 2014
Saturday 04 October
Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Ladies 1st XI lost 2-3 to Bromley & Beckenham


Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Men’s 1st XI lost 1-4 to Ipswich & East Suffolk

Like the curate’s egg, there was much to be commended in Saturday’s performance against an ambitious and talented Suffolk side, but for all the positives, there remained an occasional whiff that served as a reminder that not all was at its best. Both teams came into the encounter with 100% records and the number of goals that IES had already scored suggested that the visitors would offer some real early insight as to the promotion prospects of this newly forming Stortford team. Between daybreak and pushback, summer turned to autumn, and in marked contrast to last week’s glorious weather, the majority of the game was played in heavy rain. The visitors started with the highter intensity; early questions were asked of the Stortford defence and answered by some creaking responses. An early turnover gave IES possession deep in the home side’s territory and an audacious but perfectly executed reverse stick shot from the left hand baseline was enough to better Butcher and give the visitors an 1-0 lead after just 4 minutes. IES pressed again and hungry for goals created a couple more opportunities in the opening minutes but were unable to force the ball home. Stortford began to settle into their own rhythm and as the defence began to move the ball with more fluidity, some tidy play marshalled by man of the match Jon Taylor ably supported by his midfield colleagues saw Stortford create some pressure of their own. However, just as it looked like the home side had weathered the storm, IES scored from a penalty corner; the initial shot rebounded to a man on the left side of the circle who made no mistake in powering it towards the goal. Ecott on the post made a valiant attempt to emulate Andy Round’s efforts last week in putting his body on the line but was only able to deflect it into the net. With the second goal secured, IES threatened to run away with it and pressed hard and high, ensuring that the Stortford outlet was limited for much of the time. Nevertheless, the home side continued to dig deep and winning a few penalty corners of their own, eventually clawed their way back into the match when a Jon Taylor drag flick was too direct for the IES goalkeeper who was only able to parry it into the roof of the goal. With a single goal separating the sides at half time, Stortford knew the next goal would be critical. Unfortunately, this conclusion had not escaped the visitors either and they came out as hard at the start of the second period as they had finished the first. Pressure in the Stortford lines took its toll and within 6 minutes, IES had again exploited a turnover and as the IES striker collected the ball at the top of the D, he made no mistake in calmly placing the ball beyond the onrushing Butcher. Chances continued to be exchanged at each end, but neither side was able to impact the scoreline further until the final minutes when another IES breakaway was finished well for a convicing 4-1 win. After the game, Stortford Head Coach Albert Marcano was in a reflective mood: “overall the quality of the performance wasn’t reflected by the scoreline and we will win many games this year if we play as well as we did for large parts of today’s match. If we can tighten up at the back and be just a little more ruthless in the final third, we will remain on course to achieve our ambitions.” Next week, the short trip to Chelmsford offers an opportunity to prove that as well as secure some local bragging rights.

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Ladies 2nd XI won 4-2 vs Leighton Buzzard

2s started brightly but were unlucky to concede an early goal. However, it
wasn't long before Jen Heath scored the equaliser leaving the score 1-1 for
half time. The second half was dominated by Stortford, with Buff quickly
making the score 2-1. Leighton equalised, and then were awarded a penalty
flick, making the score 3-2 to Leighton. After another goal by Jen, and a
cracking goal from Charlie, the game ended 4-3.

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Mens 2nd XI drew 2-2 with Winchmore Hill & Enfield

The Men's 2nd XI picked up their first point of the season this weekend, but will be a little disappointed not to have taken all three, as Winchmore Hill & Enfield fought back from 2 goals down to snatch a draw.
Stortford started the match much brighter than previous games, both in creating attacking chances and looking more controlled in defense.
Just after the quarter hour mark, Stortford finally made the breakthrough. David Wilde's quick thinking from a free hit just outside the opposition's 25yd line saw the ball fired into the semi-circle finding Michael Clark, who instinctively sent it past the keeper and give the home side a deserved lead.
Less than 10 minutes later Stortford doubled their lead. This time from a well worked short corner, that was switched from the top left of the 'D' to the far right goalpost, where James Johnson calmly slotted the ball into the back of the net, before the bewildered Winchmore defence could react.
Winchmore Hill & Enfield were not ready to give up though and as the first half came to a close began to press a tiring Stortford further back. Despite the resistance of the home side's back line, the visitor's won a string of short corners and it was from one of these set pieces a couple of minutes before the break that they halved the deficit. The corner was initially cleared, however, a well timed half volley from a tight angle somehow found it's way inside the post and over the line.
After the interval, the game was set up for a tense battle, as the hosts protected their slender lead and Winchmore committed more men to attack, striving to take something from the match.
As the game progressed, players from both sides began to tire, resulting in spells of scrappy play and Stortford's task was made harder when they saw their captain, Rick Oakley, temporarily sent to the sin bin after a poorly timed tackle. During those 5 minutes, Winchmore Hill took advantage of having the extra man and following a goalmouth scramble were awarded a controversial equalizer, despite Stortford hotly contesting that the ball had not crossed the line.
With the second half coming to a close and Stortford returning to a full complement of players on the field, neither side could break through the opposing ranks. Winchmore Hill had a player sent to the sideline, after receiving a yellow card, but with only seconds left on the clock, there was not enough time for Stortford to use the man advantage and both teams had to settle for a point.
This was, however, a much improved team performance from Stortford and they hope to build on this next week when they travel to Harpenden.

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Ladies 3rd XI lost 0-3 to Leighton Buzzard


Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Mens 3rd XI lost 0-6 to Cheshunt

The 3s came down to earth with a bump on Saturday in a bizarre game which saw them lose 6-0 away at Cheshunt.

Despite starting with only 10 players, due to a late drop out and a player stuck in traffic, it was the visitors who looked the most dangerous in the early exchanges winning corners and creating chances that they were unable to convert. This was to be the story of the game though, as once back to full strength after 10 minutes Stortford had a Kamikaze 15 minutes which saw them concede 3 sloppy goals. Stortford did eventually settle again and saw the half through only 3-0 down.
Following some reorganisation, Stortford started the 2nd half brightly, feeling that the game was far from beyond them. During a good spell of possesion and a number of corners, Stortford should have pulled at least a goal back, but were hurt on the break on numerous occasions conceding another 3 second half goals.
It was one of those days where the players all felt they played poorly, but on review of the chances knew they had had more than their fair share and the score probably flattered Cheshunt.
One to put down to experience and look forward to the next game and the chance to get back to winning ways.


Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Ladies 4th XI lost 0-1 to St Albans 5s

Bishop's Stortford Ladies 4s had a very defensive game this weekend, as St Albans were constantly gaining possession and pushing into Stortford's D. Despite relentless pressure from the opposition the defence stayed strong, partly due to some excellent goalkeeping from Jo Newman who saved numerous shots. However, St Albans continued to put pressure on in the second half yet the defence line including Milly Aylott, Daisy Aylott, and Katie Browne managed to stay strong until only conceding one goal in the last few minutes of a very tense half. 

 Stortford did manage to break through St Albans tight positioning a few times and after superb skill from Verity Ellis and a few crosses between Fiona Lemon and Nadia El-Zanfaly the ball was received by Jo Thompson and Lisa Suckling who did have a couple of shots on goal vut were unlucky in this pursuit.

 Player of the match went to Katie Browne for excellent defending during a hard and tiring game. The other defenders and goalkeeper also, deservedly, received nominations for player of the match.

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Mens 4th XI lost 0-3 to Rickmansworth

Stortford put in a much better performance. Just 11 players were able to make the trip but they worked hard and managed not to concede an early goal. Stortford struggled to keep the ball at first but as the first half developed and in the second half they started to put together some good passing moves.

Stortford conceded twice in the first half when loos balls fell to Rickmansworth forwards and both were powerfully finished past Stott.

Stortford had the better of the early exchanges in the second half forcing short corners and having a couple of open play opportunities on the break.

Still plenty of defending to be done with Sam Cunningham and 6th team Captain Duncan Laws putting in admirable stints to help nullify the attacking threat. Rickmansworth added only the one goal from a half that could easily have finished 2-2.

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Mens 5th XI won 10-0 vs West Herts

Bishops Stortford welcomed a strong West Herts side to Hockerill on a rainy day. However a glorious return to form for the 5ths brought sunshine to the day. This was a very tidy display of passing hockey that is becoming the new norm. The midfield of Saket and MoM Chris Slack kept the pace up and controlled the centre. The defence line that are rapidly learning to play in their new formation with Gary Jones playing a strong role in the centre joining Stuart Eames and Graham Smith who both continue to remain solid. West Herts were fast on the break and keeping a clean sheet was nearly as impressive a feat as the 10 goals that were put away. The only disappointment being the injury to Paul Beverley who had played an excellent game at left back before his hamstring went which will keep him out for a while.

The goals were all well taken, Nick Slowe bagging 4 as did Chris Slack with neat passing in the dangers areas from both to set them up. Saket's 2 were well deserved for driving the ball into the D on several occassions. Oli Newman attacked well on the right, the youth policy working well!

If you have any 5ths team players in your Fantasy team, you've made a good decision...... this week!

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club Mens 6th XI – BYE week