Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club - Match Reports 20141206

P2 W1 D0 L1 F6 A3

Saturday 06 December 2014

P2 W1 D0 L1 F6 A3

All other matches postponed due to frozen pitches.


The Ladies 1s had their second weekend of travelling when they made the long journey to Folkestone for this weeks fixture. The team were hoping to bounce back from a difficult defeat last week but sadly it was not to be.

The Stortford girls did start strong with the defence working solidly together to keep Folkestone out and the attack creating lots of opportunities. Folkestone were occasionally hitting us on the break and at times looked dangerous. Despite dominating for much of the half and having a number of short corner opportunities it was Folkestone who were able to capitalise on their chances to take us into half time 1-0 down.

Confident that we could stage a come back the girls stepped out from half time ready to fight back. Once again it was Stortford who dominated for a large part of the second half winning lots of short corners and creating scoring opportunities. The Folkestone goalkeeper did make some excellent saves and once again it was Folkestone who took the chances they got and scored two more goals to out us 3-0 down.

Suddenly the Stortford girls seemed to find another gear and after a gallant effort to keep the ball from going over the baseline Laidlaw found Costamagna on the p-spot who slotted it home. Stortford continued at a high pace for the last five mins and looked like another goal may come but sadly it was too little too late and the game ended 3-1 to Folkestone. A disappointing result but the team are ready to work hard again next week to get back to winning ways. Man of the match Lexie Guthrie for a strong performance in defence and some fantastic distribution from the back.


With a number of late drop outs and uncertainty about whether the match would even go ahead it was good to come away with another good win. This despite a tetchy second half in which Grahame Smith picked up a second Green card in two matches.

With the welcome return of Saket Trivedi (who managed to win Man of the Match despite collecting a yellow card) the team were galvanised. Matt Sharman opened up the scoring but this was the only goal in the first half leaving it 1-0 at half time. The second half was much more clinical with Nick Slowe picking up 2 and James Brocks scoring 2 as well. There was much more passion and this lead to a few disciplinary issues with the umpires. Sadly an injury to Sean Trimble saw a premature conclusion to his afternoon having played well until pulling a muscle.

A special mention must be made to Ronnie Stott who played excellently in goal once again and thanks to Duncan Laws and Ross Haworth who stepped up from the 6s to ensure we travelled with a full side. Still 3rd in the league and with a solid core of a team hopefully the results will continue to come.