Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club - Match Reports 20150117

Match Reports 17-18 January 2015

17/18 JANUARY 2015

 Another weekend that fell victim to the weather with just one game played in the adult leagues. Sunday brought a little more cheer with juniors in action both at home and away tournaments, followed by the Ladies 035s who held on to book themselves a trip to Norwich in Round 3 of the national trophy.


Ladies 4s LOST 0-2 vs BEDFORD

 Saturday 17th January saw wintery weather with bitter temperatures, and the Ladies 4s were surprised to hear that their match in Bedford had not been cancelled. A smaller team than usual headed out into the snow, and by the time we arrived the sun was shining, all be it very low in the sky. With no subs, we took the pitch and soon discovered that Bedford had a lot of support from the sidelines and a huge team! A good match ensued, with some great breaks made by the forward line which unfortunately were not transferred into goals. Bedford scored a first goal towards the end of the first half and we conceded another relatively swiftly after that. Bedford made regular substitutions and although Stortford conceded no further goals in the second half, by the end of the match everyone had tired legs. Charlie Simmonds in goal made some brilliant saves. Nadia…..and Hannah……, right half and left half respectively, received joint man of the match, both demonstrating excellent skills and stamina.




Round two of the national trophy saw the ladies over 35's come up against a determined Harpenden team. Stortford took early control with two Sally Powell strikes and a solid team performance kept this score line up to the halftime whistle. Harpenden came out stronger in the second half, but after soaking up early pressure a great ball down the left from Sharon Rayner in the Stortford defence found Sally Powell who turned past two Harpenden defenders and then calmly slotted the ball past the keeper, so completing her hat-trick. While seemingly cruising to victory, the game turned and suddenly Stortford found themselves only one goal ahead after two Harpenden short corner strikes. However calm defence saw Stortford to the final whistle, and a third round trip to Norwich now awaits.


The Girls U10 As played Waltham Forest twice winning the first 2-0. It was a clinical and beautifully planned game with the girls taking an early lead through Natasha. As they beginning to go up the gears Lottie L sealed the victory  


Sandwiched between the WF double header, the team played Redbridge U12’s by mistake (sorry Dicky) and in a hard fought game drew 0-0.

The girls fought like tigers repulsing everything the older girls threw at them ( including a short corner) and when there was a glimmer of an opening Martha was there to snuff it out – simply outstanding!


In their last game the girls had the opportunity to try playing out of their usual positions.

It was a very even match and  as the game went on Waltham Forest began to press our defence. It held firm, Issy & Maddie tacked beautifully with Lottie W and Georgia closing down the space, denying the opposition time on the ball. Maria was constantly looking to turn defence into attack and following some re-organisation with less than 2 minutes to go it worked. Swiftly passing the ball from the left to the right through 3 different players and with un-erring accuracy Lottie L was released down the right. There was still a lot to do as she cut into the D. Having made up ground Sophie stepped back from the penalty spot to find space pulling all 3 defenders with her and allowing Lottie to drive onto the keeper. Natasha had also made up 40m down the left hand side ready to pick up any rebounds. She was not needed as Lottie squeezed a beautifully precise shot into the far corner. GOAL!!!!!! The crowd went wild and the final whistle blew.


The Girls U10 Bs also played exceptionally well especially as for most of them it was their first ever game. They played Upminster twice and drew 0-0 in the first game. They maintained possession as they worked extremely hard to win the battle for mid-field supremacy. Molly had 2 shots that shaved the outside of the post. Upminster had a few breakaways mid-way through with Rose making some beautifully timed tackles as the last defender and Florence refusing to be beaten.  Daisy was calmness personified in turning defence into attack. The second game was even better as the girls won 1-0 with a well taken goal by Molly. Stortford continued to apply lots of pressure on their goal with Holly and Charlotte combining well up front carving out with many more shooting opportunities. There was some great tackling from Aisling and Pearl who quickly closed down their players. Special mention goes to Martha who played all 5 games in a long shift and didn’t let in a goal